I haven’t seen a Phillies game since 8/17. Been on vacation in New England with no national games, and both weekend games were cancelled once I got home. For that reason, I am going to put together an ol’ fashioned series thread.
2011: 83-46 (104-win pace)
Crazy to think – we were FIFTEEN games behind our current pace in 2007, and still made the playoffs…
Let’s take a look at our offense since the Pence trade…
- Is Mayberry the next Jayson Werth? Probably not – but he’s played so well Charlie simply can’t justify playing Raul anymore
- Pence has played well above his career averages thus far. It’s unreasonable to think he can stay this high, but not unreasonable to think he can improve upon his prior years in Houston
- Howard has had a nice little resurgence since the Pence deal, but I don’t think it has anything to do with that protection business. Good pitchers aren’t scared to throw to Howard.
- Remember that whole “resting Utley more” thing? Well he leads the team in AB during this stretch, and is showing a dip in power – as he has in the past when he gets run down late in the season.
- Ibanez and Martinez, yuck
- Ruiz has done well, but his walks have dropped off as of late
- Brian Pointer has put himself on the prospect map with a very solid start in the GCL. A 2010 draftee, Pointer nixed his Oregon State scholarship to sign with the Phillies. He was drafted in the 28th round due to his commitment, but signed a $350k bonus (2nd-3rd round money) with the Phillies. So far this year, in 169 AB, the 19-year old has a .273/.353/.508 line and leads the team in HR (6) and SB (8).