I’m writing this at halftime, and if we continue on the path we are on, I imagine I will be too ticked off to write anything after the game.
Well, the Eagles look unprepared and over matched against this red-hot Cardinals squad. Where to start with the blame game?
- The defense is getting absolutely and completely ripped apart. The Cardinals have amassed 260 yards in the FIRST HALF. Our run defense is pathetic, as the recently not-good-enough-to-play Edgerrin James has averaged 8.0 yards per carry. I have no explanation. They dominated the Giants, and the Giants have a better O-Line.
- Jim Johnson, after repeatedly saying Larry Fitzgerald is their biggest concern, has repeated called defensive that match him up against safeties and let him run free across the middle of the field. It’s astonishing that this isn’t working.
- Thinking it wasn’t enough to fall down on Fitzgerald’s 2nd TD, Quentin Demps decides to level Kurt Warner for a roughing penalty.
- McNabb is missing open receivers, and the ones that he is hitting are not being hit in stride. His pass to Baskett would have gone for a TD with a good pass. Also, someone needs to explain to him what intentional grounding is.
- The offense can’t finish drives. This has been a problem for the last 2 years, and it’s a problem again today.
- Westbrook shouldn’t be playing. He is way too injured to be effective. Seems like that has been the case a whole lot during his career late in the season. Not sure how you go about fixing it.
- How about the D-Ends? One of my main keys to the game was to pressure Kurt Warner, and we haven’t been able to.
- How about Gene Wojohowski and all the morons who all but said we didn’t even have to play this game because it was a forgone conclusion. How you can be a professional sports writer and not understand sports is beyond me.
Well, if we come back and win the 2nd half, I imagine this won’t be read.
If we don’t, it’s clear that the Cardinals had a great game plan and executed it to near perfection. I’ll be rooting for them in the Super Bowl.
On the Eagles end…no one thought we would get here and you have to appreciate it, but it certainly seems like the whole team is just out of steam. I imagine people will forget the Giants game, and rail on McNabb and Reid, some of it deserved, but if you asked me after that Bengals game whether or not I’d take 2 playoffs wins and a trip to the NFC Championship, even if we got embarrassed there? I’d have to take it.
2nd Half Quick Notes
Alright, since we made it so close, I’ll add a couple things.
- Offense and defense played perfect up until the last drive for both. Defense let Cards march right down the field for the game winning score (including a horrible non-wrap up tackle by Quentin Demps at the goal line). McNabb had 2 poor throws on the last set of downs and sorry, but we got screwed on the non-PI call on Curtis on 4th and 10. Hood was grabbing his right leg before the ball got there. And even the clearly-rooting-for-the-Cards Troy Aikman thought so.
- Seriously, David Akers?
- McNabb will become the first QB to throw for 375 yards and 3 TD in a playoff game and get trashed after it. Some deserved, some not.
90% of NFL teams would consider this a tremendous year for their team, but it doesn’t feel that way at all. Too many seasons have ended this way to take away much silver lining.
Congrats to the Cardinals, and thanks to the Eagles for extending the football season into late January yet again. We might not appreciate it now, but we will when it’s gone.
Time to go shave my beard and get the baseball preview going…