Note: ReclinerGM has a permanent link to an updated Payroll Analysis and Organizational Depth Chart here. There is also an easy access link on the side of our main page.
With Ryan Howard’s contract on the books, the Phillies are pretty much done with their 2009 roster, unless Nomar does decide to play in 2009. It is clear that the Phillies have a 3-year plan, as they have it set up so that all of their key players are locked in until at least 2011. Here is a look at how the Phillies payroll should stack up for the next 4 years. I’ve added $10 million extra to each year because of extra things that go into payroll (like Tom Gordon’s buy-out this year and players on the 40-man, not 25-man roster) that I can’t calculate perfectly. I also put in around the league minimum as place holders for the 25-man roster spots that aren’t under contract.
Here are my thoughts…
- No more calling the Phillies cheap. In a horrid economic climate, they increased payroll by $30 million to keep their homegrown players.
- Despite dropping the salaries of Eaton, Feliz, Myers and Jenkins (whose 2010 number should be green, sorry), the Phillies will have very little wiggle room in 2010 due to increased salaries for Howard, Utley, Ibanez, Hamels, Victorino, Madson, Blanton, Werth and Durbin.
- Because of this, the pitching situation in 2010 will be interesting. We will have Hamels, Blanton, Moyer and Happ under contract, and very little money to spend. Hopefully Carrasco can be ready, I’m not sure Myers will be back when I look at this chart.
- In 2011, we have around $88.5 million dedicated to just 8 players. That means we are going to have to round out our roster with 17 other players, and about $40 million to do it with. That should be interesting.
- 2012? I know it’s far off, but there’s no doubt that will be an interesting off-season. Only Utley is signed that far ahead. Rollins, Howard, Hamels, Victorino and potentially Lidge will all be free agents that winter and we will a lot of money to play with, much like the Yankees did this time around.
- We are pretty much looking at our team for the next 3 years. Barring a trade of Howard, I don’t see us making any big acquisitions the next 3 years.
What do you guys and gals think?