Just getting my 2 cents in on a variety of issues that I don’t feel like writing a whole post on.
- Jamie Moyer, 45, has not completely shut the door on returning to pitch next year, and considering he hasn’t counted on arm strength for awhile, it is certainly a possibility. If Moyer does return, and gets 15 more wins before he retires, he will be just the 8th Left-Handed pitcher ever to finish his career with 250 wins and 2,000 strikeouts. The others are Randy Johnson, Steve Carlton, Tom Glavine, Warren Spahn, Tommy John, Jim Kaat, Lefty Grove and Eddie Plank.
- Pedro Feliz has a higher BA, OBP and SLG% than the Nationals Ryan Zimmerman.
- Considering how good our offense and bullpen are, all the Phillies need from their Pitching Staff is Cole Hamels and 4 guys with a 4.50 ERA. Right now the ERAs of our 5 starting pitchers are 3.18, 4.45, 4.71, 5.37, 5.79. Too bad cheap one-year options like Livan Hernandez (4.22), Kyle Lohse (4.26), Odalis Perez (4.13) and Mark Hendrickson (4.14) weren’t availiable. Except that they were. And everybody knew they needed one of them (not Kris Benson, who they knew wouldn’t be ready until mid-season).
- Chad Ford released his 2nd mock draft today. He once again has the Sixers taking Florida PF Marreese Speights. His comment is -
If they can’t get Elton Brand this summer, they’ll have to seriously consider Speights. Speights does a lot of the same things that Brand does; he just doesn’t have the conditioning or motivation.
Wow – so he is essentially Elton Brand. Except he sucks. Thanks Chad! Did you know that Eric Snow does the same things LeBron James does; he’s just 7 inches shorter, can’t shoot, can’t penetrate, has short arms and sits on the bench. Other than that, they are more or less the same player. I didn’t particularly want Speights before (raw, couldn’t lead his team to the NCAA in a weak SEC conference, and doesn’t strike me as anything more than a plain PF), but if there is ANY question about his motivation – cross him off my list.
I’ll be updating my Mock Draft this week – with a couple more comments this time.
- The least classy thing I’ve seen from fans this year? Utah fans booing Derek Fisher, who left the team to go to L.A. so that his daughter, who has a rare eye disease, could recieve better medical care. If that was Philly, media would have been all over it.
- The “Robert Horry to the Hall of Fame” debate is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. The man is 6’10” and has a career FG% lower than Allen Iverson’s. He has a nickname and made some big shots. He’s also a dirty player who underachieved at every other part of his game.
- If Lito Sheppard is still on the Eagles roster come training camp, it is NOT going to end well. It’s just not.
- Players I will be keeping an eye on for a variety of reasons once training camp comes around: Max Jean-Giles, DeSean Jackson, Brent Celek, Stewart Bradley, Victor Abiamiri and Broderick Bunkley.