Need to get a short Phillies’ post up here so the weekend discussion doesn’t get buried by our recent Eagles’ stuff.
Simple question for this post: Who is the NL MVP? (Assuming, of course, that people aren’t going to start voting for Pitchers)
Let’s take a look at the candidates, and there are A LOT (note: Ryan Howard is NOT a candidate at this moment, but I included him to appease the masses)
Now, like we did with the Cy Young post, let’s see what they look like when we rank them, and tally up the ranks (arbitrary, I know).
- Braun and Kemp are the frontrunners at the moment. Kemp is the top player statistically, but is he THAT much better than the rest of the field to off-set the horrible baseball being played in LA right now?
- Braun was my pick before doing this, and it was validated here. His all-around play (defense and baserunning) separate him from teammate Prince Fielder.
- Justin Upton is an intriguing candidate, especially if the DBacks hold off the Giants.
- Victorino comes in at 6th with several other current “darkhorse” candidates.
- Hopefully this stops any Ry-Ho for MVP talk before it starts.